Wednesday 7 January 2015

Daytona Motorsport

One of the best, if not the best, companies that I have come across that own and operate kart tracks is Daytona Motorsport who have their flagship track in Milton Keynes. I have raced at their 1360m outdoor Milton Keynes track only once but really enjoyed it as the track is quite technical (i.e. tricky) in places so is a challenge. I managed to qualify in pole and finish in second at one of their arrive and drive D40s (40 minute endurance race), despite a spinner punting me into the barriers early in the race and falling well down the order.
I have raced on their outdoor 900m Sandown Park a handful of times (again in their D40 format) and  enjoy this track more as I tend to like tracks that flow and I have had some good results there too (but despite getting close, I have not managed to win it yet!).

Mark Webber at Daytona's Milton Keynes track

Before the practice and race you have a swanky video briefing presented by Martin Brundle which is always cool to watch. The reception staff and track marshals are all professionally presented and friendly and are a cut above the kind of staff you find at the more common indoor kart tracks (you know what I mean). You always get a well presented and detailed printout of your race results including all your lap times and the fastest lap times of all your competitors - this is also e-mailed to you after the race. Almost forgot to mention that booking a race is a very well managed through their website and online booking system so it is very easy to check the availability of their various race formats up to a month in advance(!)

Overall, attending one of their events is a very satisfying and enjoyable experience that will make you want to go back time after time. The only downer I have on Daytona is that they do not make their outdoor tracks available to people who have their own karts, which I was disappointed with when I did eventually get my own. But otherwise you won't find a better run karting experience anywhere else and I know as I have been to a fair few...!

No comments:

Post a Comment